Monday, August 23, 2010

Off to First Grade

Today was the big start of school.  I never understood what all the hoolala was about when I'd get asked the question.........did you cry when you dropped him off on the first day?  In Zurich I never had these emotions, probably cause the school was much smaller and intimate and I felt like my kiddo was in just the right place.  We chose the school and so there was some level confidence and buy in that a paying customer has.  Here, the school chooses you and it was so much bigger.  I didn't cry at drop off this morning, but I have to say I had a small lump in my throat as Brooks and I drove out of the parking lot.  My kid that seems so big at home just turned into a tiny little toddler for a moment as I said my goodbyes.  I left and threw him to the wolves.  I had to remind myself he's repeating 1st so that he's back on par age-wise with his peers.  His teacher seems great, and yes, I am somewhat confident that they will help him find the bus this afternoon.  He did seem so comfortable this morning when I left him, I am so proud of him for tackling things with an open mind and eagerness.

Well, back at home, I am over it now.  I don't have to argue over MY computer and there's a nice peace and quiet I haven't experienced since April of this year.  I am going to enjoy my new found freedom.  Brooks won't know what to do without his constant entertainment around but we'll make do.  I think some routines will help us get back in to the swing of things and I am eager for baseball to start.

Should be a good year!